Why are we doing this? We will accomplish two tasks in this PD.
- Prepare for upcoming snow/cyber day
- It’s a means to an end
Although there are many reasons educators should flip. Many have not leapt on the flipping bandwagon. To increase buy-in with my faculty, I chose to focus on the ‘why’ we were doing this PD NOW. I felt that in order to first get teachers to understand, and have an open mind toward trying a new approach, they need to at least hear the rationale behind why I chose this particular topic, at this particular time, for this particular group of people. Secondly, from the outset of my 3 hour professional development on flipped learning, I stated explicitly the goals, just as I would in front of my students:
- Teachers will understand the flipped learning model and how to implement it in their classes
- Teachers will discuss ways in which flipped learning has been implemented successfully in other schools
- Teachers will create a flipped video lesson
Prior to the PD, I asked teachers to watch three short videos to gain a better understanding of what this instructional approach is. At the start of the PD, I explained that because I flipped this PD, I would not be instructing them, but rather I will facilitate their progression through the professional learning modules I have set up.
- Case Studies: In a team, examine one of the six flipped learning case studies. As a team, create a digital presentation to showcase your case study.
- Creating Videos: Choose one of the five tools to flip your lesson.
During each of the hour and a half sessions, teachers worked actively to learn more about flipped learning, with many of the discussions revolving around pedagogy rather than technology. By the end of the 3hr timeslot, more than three quarters of the teachers had created their own video for use in their class. And, all teachers understand both why and how to integrate flipped learning into their classes.
Lesson Learned: For professional learning opportunities, always provide purpose and explain how attendees will benefit from devoting their time to this topic